Salad of white asparagus, soft egg and emulsified olive oil vinaigrette by Seamus Mullen
Ingredients (2 serves)
• 1 bunch white asparagus, blanched for 3 minutes in salted water, shocked in a ice-bath
• Handful of curly mustard greens or arugula
• 2 eggs, cooked for 6 minutes in boiling water and shocked in an ice-bath
For the vinaigrette
• 1 egg yolk
• 1 tsp creamy Dijon mustard
• 1 clove garlic, grated on the microplane
• 1/3 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil from Spain
• Sea Salt
• 1 TBSP white wine vinegar
• Juice and zest of 1 lemon
• Minced basil
• 1 small shallot, minced
1. In a large mixing bowl, whisk the yolk, mustard and garlic together.
2. Drizzle in the oil, very slowly at first, whisking vigorously until it begins to thicken.
3. Continue to whisk until it has the consistency of mayonnaise, then add the shallot, vinegar, lemon juice and zest, basil and season with salt and pepper.
4. Toss the asparagus and the greens in the vinaigrette and and finish with the eggs. Serve immediately.