Valentine’s Day Almond Cake by Seamus Mullen
Ingredients 8 slices
For the cake
• 8 oz marcona almonds
• ½ cup coconut sugar
• 4 eggs
• 1/3 cup almond flour
• 1/4 cup Extra Virgin olive oil
• 1/4 cup almond milk
• 2 tsp lemon zest
• 1/2 tsp cinnamon
For the ganache
• 1/2 cup coconut cream
• 8 oz dark chocolate, chopped
• 4 TBSP Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1. Preheat the oven to 350.
2. In a food processor, blitz almonds and 1/4 cup sugar.
3. In a standing mixer with a warm mixing bowl, beat eggs until fluffy, one minute. Add the remaining 1/4 cup sugar, and beat at high speed until eggs are pale and volume is tripled, 3-4 minutes.
4. Add almond sugar mixture and almond flour to the eggs. Alternate drizzling in the olive oil and almond milk. Add zest and cinnamon.
5. Pour the batter into a springform pan and bake for 20 minutes.
6. Meanwhile to make the ganache, place the chopped chocolate in a medium size bowl. In a separate small saucepan, heat the coconut cream until just boiling.
7. Pour cream over chocolate and let sit 5 minutes. Gently stir, being careful not to add too much air. Let ganache sit one hour.
8. Ice cake with ganache and set aside to cool.