Chocolate Chunk Olive Oil Cookies
Ingredients (Makes about 24 cookies)
• 2 cups all purpose flour
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
• 1 large egg
• 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
• 1/2 cup granulated or coconut sugar
• 1 cup dark brown sugar, packed
• 2/3 cup olive oil from Spain
• 6 ounces dark chocolate, chopped
• Flaky sea salt
1. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, and kosher salt.
2. In a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment (or with a handheld mixer), beat together the egg, vanilla, and granulated/coconut sugar at medium-high speed until sugar is dissolved, about 1 minute. Add the brown sugar and olive oil from Spain and beat two minutes until glossy.
3. Switch to low speed and add in the flour mixture until it is just incorporated. Finish mixing with spatula until a dough comes together. Then gently fold in chocolate chunks.
4. Place the dough in a covered container and allow it to rest in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
5. When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
6. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Use a medium cookie scoop (size 40) or spoon out 1 1/2 tablespoons of dough for each cookie. Leave plenty of room in between the cookies: about 9 cookies fit on a baking sheet. Sprinkle each cookie lightly with flaky sea salt.
7. Bake 9 to 11 minutes until the tops are lightly browned, but not dried out. Allow to cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack.