Green tomatoes fried in olive oil with herby yogurt By Seamus Mullen
Ingredients (4 Serves)
• 2 large green tomatoes, cut into ½” thick slices
• ¼ cup cassava, rice or AP flour
• 2 eggs, lightly beaten
• 1 cup of bread crumbs
• 1 cup extra virgin olive oil from Spain for frying
• 1 cup labne or full-fat plain yogurt
• 1 clove garlic, grated on a microplane
• 4 TBSP extra virgin olive oil from Spain
• Juice and zest of 1 lemon
• Sea salt and fresh pepper to taste
• 1 TBSP chopped tarragon
1. Lightly dredge the green tomatoes in flour, then dip in the beaten egg and coat thoroughly with the bread crumbs. Repeat until each slice of tomato is breaded.
2. In a heavy bottom, cast-iron pan, heat the olive oil over medium high heat to 375 F, then fry the tomatoes, taking care not to overcrowd the pan. Fry for 1-2 minutes per side until crispy.
3. In a small bowl, combine the labne or yogurt with grated garlic, lemon zest and juice, salt and pepper and fold in the extra virgin olive oil from Spain.
4. Serve the tomatoes with a dollop of yogurt and finish with fresh tarragon. Serve immediately.